Dealing with our emotions can be difficult for anyone. And for people who are trying to manage their mental health condition, it can be especially challenging. But tracking your moods can help you identify mental health triggers.
When you’re able to identify patterns and triggers of your emotions, this will help you understand what to do in situations and how they may be affecting your mental health. Here’s a guide on the benefits of mood tracking and some tips to be consistent with your tracking.
What Are Benefits of Mood Tracking?
Mood trackers help you identify patterns in your mood and factors that can affect your emotions. When you can identify and understand your feelings, this can help you avoid certain scenarios or work towards emotionally handling them better. Some benefits to mood tracking include:
- Understanding how you feel throughout the day
- Identifying emotional and external triggers for mental health episodes
- Taking note of certain behaviors, thoughts, or coping mechanisms
- Learning how your lifestyle, diet, sleep patterns, and activity levels affect your mood
- Beginning to predict certain situations that lead to negative emotions
- Using a mood tracker to judge the effectiveness of mental health treatments
- Becoming more attuned to what factors worsen or benefit your mental health
How to Stay Consistent with Mood Tracking
Staying consistent with your mood tracking is crucial for identifying your mood behaviors. It can be difficult to be consistent with tracking your mood every day. Some tips to help you stay on top of your mood tracking consist of:
- Turn on mood tracking app notifications for reminders
- Log your mood at specific intervals
- Track all of your emotions
- Make it fun
- Reflect and write
Using this method to track your emotions can help you identify patterns and allow you and your therapist to devise a treatment plan that works for you.Read More About Mood Tracking